Requirements of Absentee Voters
Prior to each election, voters may choose to receive their ballot early and vote prior to election day. Michigan law allows you to receive an absentee ballot if:
- You are 60 years of age or older
- You expect to be absent from the community in which you are registered for the entire time the polls are open on election day
- You are physically unable to attend the polls without the assistance of another
- You cannot attend the polls because of the tenets of your religion
- You have been appointed an election precinct inspector in a precinct other than the precinct where you reside
- You cannot attend the polls because you are confined to jail awaiting arraignment or trial
You must fill out an application prior to each election before we can send out your ballot. It’s a simple form that requires little time. You may download the application form, fill it out and then fax it to 616.940.4884 or email it to our offices.
How to Absentee Vote
There are two ways to vote absentee:
At City Hall Stop by during business hours and we will issue your ballot to you at that time (if they are available). You can vote in the office or take your ballot home to look over and return when finished.
The exception to this rule is that absentee voters must complete their ballots in the office the day immediately prior to an election. The ballot must be requested in person and cannot be taken home.
By MailAbsentee ballot applications downloaded from our website must be sent back to our office:
- Mail using address on the right
- Fax to 616-940-4884
- Scan and email
Once we receive your application, we will mail the ballot to the address specified as soon as possible.
Permanent Absentee List
The city maintains a permanent absentee list of those who wish to receive an absentee ballot application automatically before each election. You must still complete and return the application to receive a ballot, but we will automatically send the application to you approximately 60 days before each election.
If you are interested in being on the permanent absentee list, please contact the elections administrator at 616-949-2110.
Questions can be directed to the elections administrator at 616-949-2110.