Water Billing & Payments
About the Department
The Water / Sewer Department is responsible for:
- Planning, conducting, and maintaining the operations that facilitate high quality drinking water
- An adequate and reliable water supply to the community
- Effective wastewater and storm water services
East Grand Rapids bills monthly for water and sewer usage.
- Bills are calculated using two factors:
- Readiness to Serve - This covers the costs of maintenance, repair, and replacement of the systems. It is always charged.
- Usage Charges - These cover the costs of purchasing the water and treating the sewer, which is passed on through the City of Grand Rapids.
- Bills are always due on day 30 of each month. Postmarks are not accepted.
- Bills can be paid in person at City Hall, via U.S. mail, by placing them in the drop box located in the lobby of City Hall, or online. (If paying online, a convenience fee will be added by the processor.)
- Credit/Debit card payments will be assessed a fee for all transactions. There is a $325.00 maximum payment limit per transaction. If bill is over $325.00, multiple transactions will be required.
- Automatic payments can be made from a checking or savings account or Debit/Credit Card. Debit and Credit card automatic payments are subject to a convenience fee. Automatic payments by Debit or Credit are limited to a maximum $325.00. If your bill is over the limit, please pay using a different method. Sign up for automatic payments.
- Paperless billing statements are also encouraged. Sign up for paperless billing.
- Pay by Text- Enroll in Pay by Text to receive text notifications about bills and have the option to pay through text message with your default payment method.
- City ordinance requires a 10% penalty on all bills paid after the due date. Postmarks are not accepted.
- Missing, lost, or undelivered bills do not exempt you from payment. Watch for your bill every month and call us if you do not receive one.
Moving and Meter ReadingsIf you are moving into or out of a home in East Grand Rapids, contact our office at 616-949-2110. We will set up your new water bill account or schedule a final water reading for your account and switch the service to the new owner. Final meter readings requires a notice of two working days.
High Water Bill
Please check your meter to make sure it was read properly. If the reading on the bill is higher than on your meter, call 616-949-2110 to have your bill evaluated. If the meter reads higher than the bill reading, you may want to check for dripping faucets or toilets (toilets running are the primary cause of high water usage). Underground sprinkling systems that have not been properly winterized may also cause high usage.