Age Curfew Times
Under 12 10 p.m. - 6 a.m.
Under 16 Midnight - 6 a.m.

Minor in Attendance

No person under age 21 shall attend or be an occupant at a place where the illegal consumption of alcohol by other persons under the age of 21 is being allowed.


Construction noise is not allowed between 9 p.m. and 7 a.m., except for work on essential services.

Prohibited General Noise

The making, causing, permitting or allowing noise of any kind. This includes, but is not limited to, yelling, musical instruments or devices, radios, audio systems, or motor vehicle sound systems in such a manner as to destroy the peace and tranquility of the surrounding neighborhood or to annoy or disturb the quiet and comfort of persons in the vicinity or in any building or residence. This is all provided that this prohibition does not apply to bands and orchestras utilized as part of a school activity, parade or similarly authorized musical production.

Animal Ordinances

Licenses and tags are required on dogs over the age of six months. Licenses and tags are available through City Hall from December through March 1 every year. Call City Hall at 616-949-2110 with questions.

Licenses and tags are available all year through the Kent County Animal Shelter, 711 Ball Avenue Northeast. For further information, check the Kent County website or call 616-632-7300.

Other ordinances include:
  • Barking dogs - No person owning or having charge of a dog shall permit the dog at any time, by loud or frequent or habitual barking, yelping or howling, to cause annoyance to people in the neighborhood or to persons utilizing the public walks or streets of the neighborhood.
  • Leashes Required - Dogs and cats must be on a leash whenever off their owners’ property.

Parking Ordinances and Information

The Public Safety Department deals with parking issues on the street. The City Engineering / Zoning Department deals with parking issues on private property.

Prohibited zones are any yellow curbs, signed areas, or any places marked in any way as “no parking.” Not all prohibited zones are marked with yellow curbs. Parking in a prohibited zone will result in a ticket. Property owners do not own the parking places on the street in front of their homes. Anyone can park anywhere on the street, as long as it is a legal parking spot.

A vehicle which remains in the same parking spot on the street for more than 48 hours can be considered abandoned. Abandoned vehicles can be ticketed or impounded.

Speed Limits

The basic speed in the City of East Grand Rapids is 25 mph, unless otherwise posted. The only exceptions are Robinson Road, eastbound, and Cascade Road, both east- and westbound. Speed limits are strictly enforced with the use of radar.


The Department of Public Safety encourages citizens to report unlicensed door-to-door solicitors. The city requires any solicitor to obtain a permit prior to soliciting. Ask to see the permit, and if they have none, please contact the Department of Public Safety. The solicitor license is not in any way an endorsement of the solicitor or the solicitor’s product by the city. Persons canvassing for religious organizations or nonprofit organizations are not required to have permits.

If you have any questions about solicitors’ permits, contact City Hall at 616-949-7010 or view the licensing page.

Fire Pit Regulations

All fire pits or chimineas must be free standing with a spark cover. No hand dug fire pits are permitted. Permanent fire pits must be surrounded by non-flammable materials and have a spark cover. Fire pits or chimineas must be six feet from any building or fencing and 25 feet from combustible materials.

No brush, leaves, trash or debris shall be used as fuel. Only firewood burning is allowed. Fires must be attended by an adult at all times and shall not be burned between 11 p.m. and 7 a.m. The Public Safety Department may require the fire to be extinguished if they determine there is a potential fire hazard.