Right of Way

Right of Way Permits

Generally, the public right of way includes all city streets, alleys, sidewalks, and out-lawn / terrace areas between the sidewalk and edge of street. Any work performed in the public right of way which may require an excavation requires a permit. This may include construction of a new driveway approach, placement, or repair of private utility laterals. These laterals include sanitary or storm sewers, placement and repair of private utilities such as telephone lines, gas mains, and services, and underground or overhead electric lines. 

An application for a right of way permit can be obtained from the Public Works Administration Office located at City Hall.  Once issued, the public works engineering staff inspects the permit activity to insure the public right of way is maintained in a safe condition for the general public as well and to insure the right of way is restored properly. All work in the right of way must conform to the City's construction standards for rights of way and easements. 

Placement of landscape plants or irrigation systems in the out lawn or terrace area does not require a right of way permit. 

Right of way permits can be submitted by dropping them off at the Public Works Administration Office, or they can be emailed to one of the contacts located on the right hand side of this web page.