Street Light Ownership

Street lights, depending on the location, are either owned or maintained by Consumers Energy or by the city. The city is charged a monthly fee for all city streetlights owned by Consumers Energy. 

The gaslights in Gaslight Village are also owned and maintained by the city.

Malfunction Reports

Any streetlight malfunctions (i.e., dim lights, outages, on all the time, flicker on and off) may be reported to the Public Works Department at 616-940-4817 or by submitting an online request directly to Consumers Energy here.

If you notice an unsafe situation or have a suggestion regarding pedestrian or vehicular safety, please contact the Public Safety Department at 616-949-7010.