Street & Sidewalk Construction Update
- In 2015, City residents passed a ballot proposal to allow the City to collect 2.0 mills for street and sidewalk improvements. Since the passing, the City has worked aggressively to upgrade the 47 miles of street and 80 miles of sidewalk within the City.
Construction projects are subject to change depending on bid results and allocated funds.
2018 Project Map
- Manhattan Storm Sewer (in easement between Manhattan LN to Reeds Lake outfall) –This project is completed.
- Argentina Water Main-Breton to Pinecrest - This project is completed
- Boston Water Main-Andover to Conlon - This project is completed.
- Arundel Storm Sewer-Arundel to Berwyck - This project is completed.
- Street-Grind and Resurface Projects -These projects have been completed.
- Sidewalks Program -The sidewalk program for FY 18-19 target areas in the SE area of the City have been completed with remaining target areas for the current FY taking place in fall 2018 or spring 2019.
- Durant Street Special Assessment - This project is completed.
- Cured in Place Pipe (CIPP) Water Main Projects-Various Locations - Beginning early September and finishing at the end of October/early November. Cured In Place Pipe is a less pervasive way of rehabilitating older water mains that only requires a couple access pits, rather than having to dig up and replace the entire water main. Through these access pits, the city's contractor is able to run the new Cured In Place Pipe in and through the older water main, extending the life of the water main line. (See link to notice below under "Notices" for more information). City DPW crews have started ahead of the contractor so that all site prep work is completed in order to move the contractor through the project areas as efficiently as possible. Once the contractor starts each project area rehabilitation work should be completed within two to three weeks.
- **Cured in Place Pipe (CIPP) Project Updates (as of 11/13/18)**:
- Robinson Rd Phase 1 (west of Lakeside to Mercer) - This project area is complete and open fully to traffic. Everyone on this stretch is back on the rehabilitated main and paving of the access pits and services that had to be replaced is completed. Barricades will be removed from the project area and several ROW restorations will be completed next week.
- Robins Rd Phase 2 (Mercer to El Centro) - This project area is complete and open fully to traffic. Everyone on this stretch is back on the rehabilitated main and paving of the access pits and services that had to be replaced is completed. Barricades will be removed from the project area and several ROW restorations will be completed next week.
- Englewood - This project is complete.
- Indian Trail/Frederick Utility Easement - This project is complete.
- Conlon Utility Easement from Oakwood to Hall - This project is complete.
Breton Road Project
This year's signature project was Breton Road, which included removing and replacing the street surface, ADA ramp upgrades, traffic signal upgrades and several areas of road base and spot curb replacement. This project is completed.
As Breton is a Federal-aid eligible road project, the City received ~$651,796 in funding from the Federal Highway Administration that are administered through the Michigan Department of Transportation. The local contribution is estimated at ~$198,004.
Detour Map for Breton Road Project
Breton Road Closure Frequently Asked Questions
2018 Breton Rd Top Course Paving Notice
As part of the 2015 Streets and Sidewalks Millage the City has been investing more funds into the annual sidewalk rehab and replacement program. Each year, targeted areas are investigated on a rotation basis. The targeted area is subject to budget constraints.
Preventative street maintenance is scheduled to take place during the month of June that will have an impact on several major streets in East Grand Rapids. Traffic on the streets noted during these times will be impacted. The City encourages motorists and residents avoid these streets during the time frames noted by seeking alternative routes or plan extra time for their destinations with traffic delays present. The schedule is subject to change depending on weather.
Update as of 11/5/18 - All preventative street maintenance has been completed for fall/winter.
Click here for a map of affected areas.
Notices2018 Grind and Resurface Notices to Residents of Streets Impacted
2018 Notice to Residents for Sidewalk Construction
2018 Grind and Resurface Notices for Breton
2018 Boston Water Main and Street Project Notice
2018 Arundel Storm Sewer and Street Project Notice
2018 Argentina Water Main and Street Project Notice
2018 Yard Restoration Notice
2018 Breton Road Closure Frequently Asked Questions
FY 2018-2019 Sidewalk Program Summer/Fall 2018
2018 Breton Rd Top Course Paving Notice
2018 Cured In Place Pipe (CIPP) Water Main Project Notice
2018 Durant St Special Assessment Project Notice
2018 Water Meter Notice in Advance of HydroCorp Replacement Scheduling
Street & Sidewalk Millage
On May 5, 2015, East Grand Rapids voters approved a 10-year, 2.0-mill Streets and Sidewalks Millage request.
- Blue line shows road condition projection if no additional funding was received.
- Green line projects road conditions through the 10-year period of the Street & Sidewalk Millage using the additional 2.0 mills approved by East Grand Rapids voters.
- Red line shows current ratings with approved millage.
Questions regarding the East Grand Rapids Streets & Sidewalk millage can be directed to 616-949-2110 or to City Clerk Karen Brower by email or to 750 Lakeside Drive SE, EGR MI 49506.