Street & Sidewalk Construction Update
In 2015, City residents passed a ballot proposal to allow the City to collect 2.0 mills for street and sidewalk improvements. Since the passing, the City has worked aggressively to upgrade the 47 miles of street and 80 miles of sidewalk within the City.
Construction projects are subject to change depending on bid results and allocated funds.
2018 Project Map
- Manhattan Storm Sewer (in easement between Manhattan LN to Reeds Lake outfall) –This project is completed.
- Argentina Water Main-Breton to Pinecrest - This project is completed
- Boston Water Main-Andover to Conlon - This project is completed.
- Arundel Storm Sewer-Arundel to Berwyck - This project is completed.
- Street-Grind and Resurface Projects -These projects have been completed.
- Sidewalks Program -The sidewalk program that was recently approved for FY 18-19 and will be commencing in August 2018. (FY 17/18 was recently completed).
- Robinson CIPP Water Main Project - Beginning early September and finishing at the end of October/early November. (See link to notice below for more information)
- Durant Street Special Assessment - Beginning September 17th and finishing at the end of October/early November. (See link to notice below for more information)
Breton Road Project
This year's signature project is Breton Road, which will include removing and replacing the street surface, ADA ramp upgrades, traffic signal upgrades and several areas of road base replacement and spot curb replacement. This project is anticipated to commence on June 18 and be completed in mid-August.
As Breton is a Federal-aid eligible road project, the City will receiving ~$651,796 in funding from the Federal Highway Administration that are administered through the Michigan Department of Transportation. The local contribution is estimated at ~$198,004.
Detour Map for Breton Road Project
Breton Road Closure Frequently Asked Questions
2018 Breton Rd Top Course Paving Notice
*This project has been completed. Final punch-list items are still being addressed.*
As part of the 2015 Streets and Sidewalks Millage the City has been investing more funds into the annual sidewalk rehab and replacement program. Each year, targeted areas are investigated on a rotation basis. The targeted area is subject to budget constraints.
Preventative street maintenance is scheduled to take place during the month of June that will have an impact on several major streets in East Grand Rapids. Traffic on the streets noted during these times will be impacted. The City encourages motorists and residents avoid these streets during the timeframes noted by seeking alternative routes or plan extra time for their destinations with traffic delays present. The schedule is subject to change depending on weather.
Upcoming Preventative Maintenance Work
The City will complete some preventative maintenance with the Kent County Road Commission from September 18th to the 21st, including spot grind and resurface areas in advance of sealing treatments scheduled for next spring.
Tentative work schedule is shown below:
(Notice: schedule may change due to weather, equipment breakdowns, and scheduling conflicts.)
Woodshire Ave.- on the morning of 9-18-2018.
Lake Dr. from Hall St. to Eastlawn Rd.- late morning of 9-18-2018.
Hall St. from Lake Dr. to San Jose Dr.- the afternoon of 9-18-2018 and/or the morning of 9-19-2018.
Wilshire Dr. east of Pinecrest Ave.
Plymouth Rd. – south of Franklin St.
Lake Dr. – west of Bagley Ave.
Lake Dr. – west of Gladstone Ave.
Wealthy St. – Laurel Ave. to Greenwood Ave.
Signs, arrow boards, and traffic regulators (flaggers) will be used at these locations.
There will be delays to traffic. Work has been scheduled to avoid as much as possible the peak morning and afternoon school rushes.
Work near East Grand Rapids Public Schools locations will not start until after school starts and be completed when school ends to avoid traffic congestion. Most work will be conducted without a traffic closure, however, traffic shifts or temporary detours may be needed for safety of the work crew, pedestrians and motorists.
Click here for a map of affected areas.
Notices2018 Grind and Resurface Notices to Residents of Streets Impacted
2018 Notice to Residents for Sidewalk Construction
2018 Grind and Resurface Notices for Breton
2018 Boston Water Main and Street Project Notice
2018 Arundel Storm Sewer and Street Project Notice
2018 Argentina Water Main and Street Project Notice
2018 Yard Restoration Notice
2018 Breton Road Closure Frequently Asked Questions
FY 2018-2019 Sidewalk Program Summer/Fall 2018
2018 Breton Rd Top Course Paving Notice
2018 Robinson Rd CIPP Water Main Project Notice
2018 Durant St Special Assessment Project Notice
Street & Sidewalk Millage
On May 5, 2015, East Grand Rapids voters approved a 10-year, 2.0-mill Streets and Sidewalks Millage request.
- Blue line shows road condition projection if no additional funding was received.
- Green line projects road conditions through the 10-year period of the Street & Sidewalk Millage using the additional 2.0 mills approved by East Grand Rapids voters.
- Red line shows current ratings with approved millage.
Questions regarding the East Grand Rapids Streets & Sidewalk millage can be directed to 616-949-2110 or to City Clerk Karen Brower by email or to 750 Lakeside Drive SE, EGR MI 49506.