Street & Sidewalk Construction Update
- In 2015, City residents passed a ballot proposal to allow the City to collect 2.0 mills for street and sidewalk improvements. Since the passing, the City has worked aggressively to upgrade the 47 miles of street and 80 miles of sidewalk within the City.
- Construction projects are subject to change depending on bid results and allocated funds.
Proper street maintenance and surface preservation treatments at the right time (per PASER asset condition rating) is important to maintain the street surface condition, maximizing the impact of investment, while extending the life of the street asset.
2019 Project Map
- Download Spring 2019 Mill and Overlay Program Memo
- Download 2019 Street Project Map
- Download plans for Alexander Traffic Circle
- Download 2018 PASER Road Map
- Download PASER Guidelines
2019 Mill/Overlay StreetsA “mill & overlay” is a street maintenance process that requires the removal of the top layer of a street by a milling machine. After the top layer is removed any road base repairs are completed. Before the new pavement is placed, the surface of the newly milled pavement is covered with a liquid asphalt tack coat to bond the old and new pavements before a new layer of bituminous pavement is put in place. Mill and overlay projects at various depths are designated for streets that meet PASER 2-4 ratings. Spot curb replacement, drainage issues and some ADA ramps are also typically addressed during mill/overlay projects. This type of work will be done in the following areas:
- Woodcliff Circle (Hall to Lake)
- Indian Trail (Bellclaire to end)
- Greenwood Avenue/Barnard Street (Lakeside to Weathy)
- Santa Monica Drive (Breton to Kenesaw)
- Update: Traffic control signs have been delivered and are on site. Structures have started to be lowered on Woodcliff Circle. Spot curb removal and sump pump tie-ins will also continue the week of April 15.
- Englewood Drive (Breton to Whitfield) Update: Storm sewer work and water service replacement continued the week of April 8. The week of April 15 utility work completed by EGR DPW is anticipated to be completed in advance of street construction.
- Woodlawn Avenue (Maplewood to City Limit) Update: Storm sewer work has been completed in advance of street construction by EGR DPW.
- Lake Grove/York Drive (Berwyck to Richards)
- San Juan Drive/ El Dorado Drive (Argentina to Santa Cruz)
- Alexander Road (Plymouth to City Limit, including intersection roundabout)
- Pinecrest Avenue (Elmwood to Heather)
- Pinecrest Avenue (Argentina to Hall)
2019 Capeseal StreetsIn the cape seal process an engineered polymer-modified RCRI is applied on the existing pavement and then covered with Micro-Surfacing. This is a cost-effective process that provides the strength and durability of RCRI and the smoothness and texture of micro-surfacing and/or slurry seal. A cape seal is applied when the pavement deterioration is greater than what a slurry seal or micro-surfacing is designed to correct, yet the pavement has not deteriorated to the point of requiring an expensive asphalt overlay. A cape seal prevents water penetration, reducing subsequent damage to the road bed, along with providing a new wearing surface. Cape seals are applied to streets rated PASER 4/5 to 6 depending on additional pavement surface maintenance. Cape seals can be used on residential streets as well as rural and urban highways. Used with crack sealing and necessary surface repairs, a cape seal significantly extends the life of a pavement. In advance of this treatment the City prepares the existing road surface by milling and paving out rough surface areas and performing crack sealing. This advance preparation work usually takes 1-2 days and is completed with appropriate traffic control. This type of work will be done in the following areas:
- Download 2019 Capeseal Project Map
- Plymouth Road (Hall Street to Robinson Road)
- Wealthy Street (Lovett Avenue to West City Limits)
- Lake Drive (West City Limit to Bagley Avenue)
- Lake Drive (Conlon Drive to Hall Street)
- Reeds Lake Blvd (Manhattan Road to East City Limits)
2019 Micro-Surface StreetsMicro-surfacing, a cost-effective pavement maintenance process used by DOT's and municipalities across the country, is a design mixture of polymer-modified asphalt emulsion, crushed aggregate, mineral fillers, water, and additives. The mixture is properly proportioned, mixed, and uniformly spread over a suitably prepared surface. Micro-surfacing is a pavement preservation treatment for street surfaces rated at PASER 5 or 6. Micro-surfacing provides a quality wearing surface, extends pavement life, sets within a day, seals out moisture and does not require utility casting adjustments. In advance of this treatment the City prepares the existing road surface by milling and paving out rough surface areas and performing crack sealing. This advance preparation work usually takes 1-2 days and is completed with appropriate traffic control. This type of work will be done in the following areas:
- Download 2019 Micro-Surface Project Map
- Wilshire Drive (Hall Street to Breton Road)
- Cornell Avenue (Wilshire Drive to City Limits)
- Eastlawn Road (Boston Street to Heather Street)
- Tenway Drive (Englewood Drive to City Limits)
- Warwick Road (Tenway Drive to City Limits)
- Englewood Drive (Tenway Drive to City Limits)
- Albert Drive (Groton Road to Andover Road)
- Conlon Avenue (Berwyck Road to End)
- Darby Lane (Berwyck Road to End)
- Vesta Lane (Berwyck Road to End)
- Andover Road (Richards Drive to Hampshire Blvd)
- Sherwood Avenue (Maplewood Drive to City Limits)
- Ridgewood Avenue (Lake Drive to Maplewood Drive)
- Edgewood Avenue (Lake Drive to City Limits)
- Woodshire Avenue (Hall Street to Lake Drive)
- San Jose Drive (Burchard Street to Hall Street)
- Seminole Road (Fisk Road to City Limits)
- Gladstone Avenue (Mackinaw Road to Alexander Drive)
- Pontiac Road (Rosewood Drive to Gladstone Avenue)
- Rosewood Avenue (Sherman Street to Franklin Street)
- Gladstone Avenue (Reed Street to Franklin Street)
- Belvedere Drive/Lake Pointe Drive (Edgemere Drive to Edgemere Drive)
- Reeds Lake Blvd (El Centro Blvd to Rexford Drive)
- Rexford Drive (Cascade Road to Reeds Lake Blvd)
- Kingswood Drive (Cascade Road to End)
- Frederick (End to End)
As part of the 2015 Streets and Sidewalks Millage the City has been investing more funds into the annual sidewalk rehab and replacement program. Each year, targeted areas are investigated on a rotation basis. The targeted area is subject to budget constraints.
Streets that are not marked for construction this summer may still receive preventative maintenance if necessary. City DPW crews or contractors crack seal and/or apply mastic to PASER rated streets that are rated 6/7 throughout the spring and summer seasons. Please see the updated PASER map above for designated street ratings.
NoticesNotices are mailed to residents on affected streets in advance of any work. Notices will be posted below as they are being mailed out.
Mill and Overlay Street Construction Notice Spring of 2019
Yard Restoration Notice
Street & Sidewalk Millage
On May 5, 2015, East Grand Rapids voters approved a 10-year, 2.0-mill Streets and Sidewalks Millage request. The city updates our progress towards our 70% goal each fall after the construction season to benchmark our progress. Below is a graph of our current progress.
- Blue line shows road condition projection if no additional funding was received.
- Green line projects road conditions through the 10-year period of the Street & Sidewalk Millage using the additional 2.0 mills approved by East Grand Rapids voters.
- Red line shows current ratings with approved millage.
DTE Private Utility Gas Main Projects 2019DTE Energy will be conducting part of their Gas Renewal Project (GRP) this spring on Oakwood Drive in between Breton Road and Lake Grove Avenue. Please download the links below for more information:
*Update: DTE crews will begin work on Monday, April 15, 2019, at the above mentioned location on Oakwood Drive. Signs will be placed out on Monday by DTE to advise local residents. Please download the links below for more information:
DTE Gas Main Project Oakwood Drive Spring 2019
Questions regarding the East Grand Rapids Streets & Sidewalk millage can be directed to 616-949-2110 or to City Clerk Karen Brower by email or to 750 Lakeside Drive SE, EGR MI 49506.