My sewer is backing up, what do I do?
Immediately contact Public Works Operations Monday - Friday between 7:00 AM and 3:30 PM at (616) 940-4870. Between 3:30 PM and 5:00 PM contact Public Works Administration at (616) 940-4817. Evenings and weekends call the emergency number (616) 949-7010.

City staff will check the city sewer main in the street to make sure there is not a blockage in the City main. If the city main is clear, the blockage is located in the private sewer lateral and you will need to contact a private licensed plumber to clear the blockage. Sewer claims are subject to the City sewer backup policy and state law. A claim form may be requested by contacting the Finance Department at (616) 940-2110.

Show All Answers

1. Something is wrong with my water meter (leaking, loud or not working).
2. I need to have the water to my home turned off by the City, what do I do?
3. I've noticed that my water has an odor, what do I do?
4. How can I obtain a Water Quality Report?
5. The water pressure in my home seems to be low. What can I do?
6. My water seems to be discolored, what can I do?
7. I think I have a water leak. What should I do?
8. Has the water been shut off to this property? (This is a common realtor question.)
9. A storm drain appears to be backed up, what do I do?
10. I would like to drain water from my property the street. What do I do?
11. My sewer is backing up, what do I do?
12. I'm having an issue with my sump pump. What can I do?